Friday, October 21, 2005

What does God require of our worship?

I have been writing about risks and going beyond what one is comfortable with a few stories back. Last Sunday, the Lord challenged me to do something totally out of what I would normally do. I have always been uncomfortable with the idea of what my personal response would be in relation to poverty and the problem of homelessness on the streets.


On a purely intellectual level, I am fine with the notion that as a Christian, we should help the homeless. But on a level of translating theory to action, I have never been able to put the pedal to the metal. Never engaged "them" in any way, never talked to "them" to understand their situation, and never offered to ask "them" if they needed food. I guess being a person from a middle-class background, where life's problems are never to do with the basics of shelter and food, it is easier to deal with the notion of people on the streets by turning a blind eye or justifying that it is their fault somehow that they are in that situation. So when the Lord put a finger on this, I struggled, trust me... I really struggled with this one.

The story, as short as I can make it (sorry), follows...



During morning worship, I was distracted by something foul, pungent enough for me to be curious. As I rolled my head round, I realised that it was emanating from a man sitting behind me, densely stubbled and with clothes that looked like it had not been washed in weeks. He literally stunk.

My first thoughts were that he was a vagabond. Although I do not remember exactly what my train of thoughts were thereafter. Reflecting on this now, I realise that my social filters kicked in and I just chose to blank out any thought of this homeless person. "A nuisance, but not a problem as long as he doesn't cause any issues", I reasoned. And I continued to worship.

Later, I notice him hanging around during the lunch time gathering. Again, I looked passed him and chose not to think about it.

During the evening service that same day, I sat in a different section. And there he was again, two rows behind me.

This time around, as we were singing, the Lord challenged me, "What does worship mean to you?"

Huh?

"Is it just singing?", He continued. "What does it really mean to you?"

I shifted uncomfortably where I stood. And I knew what the Lord was putting a finger on. It was the vagabond two rows behind me. What am I going to do about it? What does me confessing Jesus as Lord mean to that man behind me?

God then brought a verse:
    '...For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you took care of Me; I was in prison and you visited Me.' "Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You?' "And the King will answer them, 'I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.' [Matt 25:35-41]
Ouch.

What do I do? What do I say? Lord, what CAN I say to a person I have nothing in common with?
    You take the first step. I will tell you what to say and do next.
Ouch.

But I rarely ever walk up to strangers, especially the homeless.
    You take the first step. I will tell you what to say and do next.
Ouch.

I would just look stupid if I run out of things to say to him.
    You take the first step. I will tell you what to say and do next.
Ouch.

He probably does not need my help anyway. Someone else in the church will help him if he does.
    You take the first step. I will tell you what to say and do next.
Ouch.

The Lord continued, "Worship has to be manifest in works... Singing is but one way to worship Me. Because, worship is meeting another's needs and bringing them into My presence the way you are previleged to do. How can they if they are isolated and hungry?"

More verses came:
    "Let brotherly love continue. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. Remember the prisoners as if chained with them--those who are mistreated--since you yourselves are in the body also. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect." [Heb 13:1-3, Matt 5:46-48]

As you can imagine, I didn't get to worship much that night. This wrestling match went on throughout the songs - the words could come out of my mouth but it held very little meaning in the light of what God was asking me to do.

To cut the story short, I approached him during the drinks/refreshments time. After several false starts of trying to make a connection (he was hesitant to engage in conversation), I managed to strike up the courage to ask him if he wanted any food. He refused. But I would notice a couple of of times when he looked around for food, then grabbing coffee and biscuits. So I politely suggested again if I could go out and get him a sandwich. This time round, he asked what I had in mind.

The night ended with me running furiously (with a friend) to get food, hoping that the man would not have left and we were not too late. It was tiring, but exciting. Needless to say, God was faithful.




Epilogue: I manage to give our friend food. But the exchange was not one way. I was blessed with a perspective on worship from the Lord by obeying - something that is closer to His heart than we often realize: the helpless and downtrodden. True worship is living in a way that God is glorified through our lives. We worship in spirit and truth. And truth is truth whether we like it or not. Truth is truth whether we are comfortable with it or not. What matters is our response.

In the incident tonight, I have learned that not taking action means not showing mercy. And if I had ignored what the Spirit was saying, I would have worshipped God in a way that would have been convenient to me, but not in the way that God would have liked.

It is a sombre thought to ponder on how much our worship is pleasing to God. And how much of it is tied to our obedience to God's nudges. If we chose any other way but the Lord's will, we risk not embracing His best.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
"not taking action means not showing mercy"...very encouraging. thanks.

 
I only just saw this today even though you put it up a couple of weeks back. I guess God has been saying a similar thing to me. He has placed a burden on my heart for the poor, but in my head I just imagine doing this on a large scale like having a shelter or something like that. however, God keeps saying how will i be able to do it on a large scale if I can't even befriend the homeless I see on the streets everyday....

 
Hi, I just want to add:

Was was reading a verse this morning about the Parable of the Minas in Luke19:11-27 where Jesus uses expressions like "Do business till I come" and "Well done, good servant; because you were faithful in a very little...".

In contrast, the servant that was considered unfaithful to his master played it safe and "put away in a handkerchief" what was given to him.

In considering these verses, I am conscious that the difference is not what is received, but what is done in response. At the end of the day, we all have to learn to obey when Jesus calls us to "...do business till I come" (Luke 19:13).

The challenge for everyone of us, especially myself, is not in hearing, but in heeding - Taking the first step, no matter how small and to be faithful in little. We need to pray for courage and boldness, then act.


Blessings
~Sallibuc

P.s. In quoting this verse, I do not mean to bring about guilt or condemnation. So please read it in the love of how the Father wants His children to live their lives.

 
I guess that scripture sums it up...if we are faithful in little things then God can begin to do big things in our lives. This goes hand in hand with the whole comfort zone issue you were talking about. Being filled the world's philosophies is also another thing that can prevent us from moving from our comfort zones. we need to start seeing the world through God's eyes as you mention in your 'Life worth living' posting. These are things God is saying to me but I guess I'm having a hard time with the 'be more than hearers' side of things....

 
I can relate to what's been said... many a time, I find that I have to just get down to it and 'pull myself up' to take action. Takes discipline though one almost needs to be ruthless about it, cause natural inertia is hard to overcome. That is the only way I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home / Visit My Current Blog!


Subscription service
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Reflections on Life and Spirituality blog!
(NOTE: Please be assured that this will not be used for spam or unsolicited communications)
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

[Valid Atom]