Friday, July 08, 2005

One dark day in London

After Sept 11, it is hard to imagine anything else that would truely shake us up. But even as I was asking myself how I felt about the whole matter, I had to admit that I didn't know how I FELT about the matter. I knew in my head what had happened was a terrible, terrible thing, not sure if my heart has caught up yet. Anyway, some brief thoughts and my personal tale of that morning...

Firstly, it reminds me how fragile this thing called life we often take for granted. One morning can start off like a normal day and can end with your life and your families changed forever.

Secondly, I used to carry the typical misconceptions about terrorists, Islamic religious fanactism and suicide bombers, until someone opened my eyes to an alternative perspective a couple of months ago - from a reporter who has been to Afganisthan to interview rebels, and one who understands the mind of terrorists. She explained that in the Koran, a believer in Allah is never assurred of salvation - because under normal circumstances, it depends on how much good deeds you have done in your entire lifetime, weighed against the sins and bad deeds. So if you ask a Muslim whether or not he/she will go to heaven, not many will be able to give you a resounding yes unfortunately. That is one route of reaching heaven.

On the other hand, there are also verses in the Koran that states that you are guaranteed salvation and a place in heaven if you die for your faith, along with the many rewards that come with it. This is "the other way".

Now, put yourself in the shoes of a Muslim faced with two routes to salvation. One certain, another not. One a more 'dignified' cause, another the mundane life. One takes a shorter time, another a lifetime of toil. Now stay in a Muslim's shoes for a little while longer. Imagine you are poor, hopeless and desperate, with nothing to lose or gain in this life. Which route would you take? Die a great cause for your faith and guarantee your place in heaven, or toil an entire life trying to do good deeds, and yet still not be assurred that you will get there?

The irony is that these people are dying for something that most non-believers, especially in the western world, take light of (even often amongst Christians) - salvation. In being informed of the 'duality' of salvation in the Koran, it makes Islamic terrorist deeds more understandable, although no less malicious. They are 'only human', making 'logical' decisions probably just as you and I would if we were in their shoes. People are literally so hungry, and desperate for salvation and something better. Surely, Christians need to be reminded of that. People are dying for the treasure that we have the opportunity to bestow.

On a personal note, I was supposed to go to a business expo at 10am that morning in the very area, on that very line which the first of the bombings took place. For some 'strange' twist of events, I potterred around the home, delaying my trip. I was not very conscious that I was stalling or have any particular reason for it. As I was about to put on my shoes, I caught glimpse of the news that several bombs had exploded and the whole tube transport network has been halted. I never got to leave the house. I think that events would have been very different if I did.

Even as I was waking up this morning, there is an eerie sense that I was "not meant to be there" at the areas where the bombs went off, even though I my plans were to go there. God is indeed in control. But I also know that in making this statement, it raises a lot of issues, esp from the perspective of the people hurt or affected by these events, who will be crying and asking why something as 'senseless' has happenned to them. In the bigger scheme of things, life must go on. It must. But beyond that, life must go on with us not losing heart and not abandoning faith (Matt 24:12).

As Christians, I hope we can come to a place where we can "cry with those who cry and grief with those who grief"... After all, this is what Christ has done for us in coming down to be in our midst two thousand years ago - identifying with our pain and suffering, but also providing a way of salvation through His death and resurrection. We are called to carry the same purposes and be of the same heart.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Well spoken, my friend across the waters. I will continue to pray for those whose lives have been irrevocably altered by these horrendous events. I appreciate your words of understanding... "People are dying for the treasure that we have the opportunity to bestow." This speaks to the powerful need there is for witnesses in this world - not just to the Muslim, but to the lost of all nations and creeds. I truly feel that time is short. The harvest is great. We will either watch it wither in the field, or take up our cross and help gather it in. The choice is ours.
I am thankful for your safety. God surely is in control. Praise His Name!

Peace, love and retrospection in light of future actions...

not1jot

"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy."
- Henry Miller


 
The day before,just after they announced that London had won the Olympic bid, instead of feeling jubilant all I could feel was 'worried' all of a sudden, it was a strange mood.Then I started thinking about what would happen if London was bombed. After that to me it seemed very quiet, oddly quiet that day in London. Last weekend I was at a Christian holiday at Ellel ministries and told someone about this, a man who said he had previously had a vision about the 7/7 attacks and he said have you thought you may have this type of gift? Perhaps God somehow warned me about it.
I live near the 30 bus route and could have been on that bus.

 
Hi Sheila, it is just one of those strange things, isn't it? Reflecting on "I could have been there" possibilities. But God is sovereign and if it is not our time to meet our Maker, nothing on heaven, earth or below can change our personal course of history. It takes these 'lucky escape' moments to realise this and to learn to be secure in the fact that He sees all and knows all.

Blessings,
Sallibuc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home / Visit My Current Blog!


Subscription service
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Reflections on Life and Spirituality blog!
(NOTE: Please be assured that this will not be used for spam or unsolicited communications)
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

[Valid Atom]