Friday, March 02, 2007

Finding the Heart to Encourage

I am presently on holiday spending time with family and friends. In the course of time together, a young person shared a burden of discouragement with me. Discouragement from harsh words with good intent to "improve" him. Discouragement from always being indirectly told that they are not good enough. Discouragement from the incessant silence of loving words that perhaps should be expressed more directly.

When was the last time you were encouraged? When was the last time you encouraged someone?

Encouragement can be a powerful thing. This may be obvious and much talked about, but in practice, there is not that much of it really going around.

I am reminded of a time when I've been a receipient of such a blessing. Gazing back, I realised that the few words this person said to me carried with it the power to change the course of my life, and it did. Ironically, the words spoken to me more than 20 years ago, so instrumental in defining who I am -- is now coming back full circle. Why?

Well, the person who bestowed the blessing 20 years ago is the same person who is the parent to the young teenager now confiding in me about his disappointments. It's weird - I feel strangely compelled 'repay the debt'. What I have received then, now I want to give back because I am in a position to - because of what was given.

What I am learning:


  • What goes around comes around. What you sow is what you reap.

  • Encouragement begets encouragement. When one "gets it", then you will recognise how powerful it is (and can be).

  • Sometimes we can be blind to giving it to the persons that need it most. People who are most "related to you" may be the ones that need it the most. But we can take it for granted that they do not yearn for it.
Encouragement is becoming a much needed commmodity that is becoming scarce. When was the last time you were encouraged? When was the last time you encouraged someone?

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Post a Comment

<< Home / Visit My Current Blog!


Subscription service
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Reflections on Life and Spirituality blog!
(NOTE: Please be assured that this will not be used for spam or unsolicited communications)
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

[Valid Atom]