Thursday, May 12, 2005

Nuggets - Am I listening to my talking donkeys?

Have you ever been in a situation where God uses people less experienced than you are as mouthpieces to say to you what you already know you must do or fulfil, or regarding the fact that you are going the wrong way in some aspect of life?



I feel slightly annoyed because I am going through an incident like this.

I call these 'talking donkeys' after the recorded incident of Balaam and his donkey in the book of Numbers. The 'donkeys' in my life are the people who are dear to my heart whom God is using to speak the truths that I do not necessarily want to hear (Definitely no offence intended, especially to my current 'speaking donkey' - you should know who you are if you are reading this)

In this story, the donkey responded to the presence of the Angel of the Lord by not following the current path. Balaam was stubbornly hitting the donkey and trying to get it back on track to where he wanted to go (not where the Lord wanted for him). Then miraculously, the donkey speaks after getting smacked 3 times:

Only then Balaam realizes that this is no ordinary situation. That God Himself is speaking to him - that Balaam is not to continue with what he is doing.

I realized I responded recently in the exact same way as Balaam initially.

All in all, we need to ask ourselves some pertinent questions: How am I responding to 'talking donkeys' in my life? Am I even fortunate enough to have one?

I am learning to deal with this situation. How? Well, in the end, Balaam responded: "Now therefore, if it displeases You, I will turn back." Hopefully my response will be in line with this. Watch this space.


Labels:


Comments:
Amen man. Seems like God always uses the people we most often come in contact with, who are often the people (donkeys) that we DON'T want to listen to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home / Visit My Current Blog!


Subscription service
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Reflections on Life and Spirituality blog!
(NOTE: Please be assured that this will not be used for spam or unsolicited communications)
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

[Valid Atom]