Sunday, November 20, 2005

Avoiding an independent spirit

Have you ever experienced God saying something to you that didn't fully make sense and is revealed in its entirety later? Happened to me this week.

The pressures of work over the past week has been mounting - steep learning curve, compressed deadlines and long hours. This has weighed heavily on my heart and I've been feeling as if I have not had any meaningful contact with people. One side of the story is of course I want to focus on getting things done. The other part the Lord revealed more clearly today.



Last Wednesday, I went for bible study and the verses were from 1 John 3:1-10 about the characteristics of abiding in God's love. I did not know how the study would go, but before it started - the Lord asked me two questions:
    "Do you know who you are?"

    And He continued, "Do you know who you are, in ME?"
I was not sure what the Lord meant specifically but held those questions in my head, hoping to find an answer.

It was a fruitful session in God's word that night, and I thought that question was broadly relevant in the context of the study. As usual, what the Lord said had more layers, which He had to peel to go down to a depth that I could understand in my heart. Wisdom comes from allowing God's word sink deep into our situations - to intersect our struggles and hardships, and to penetrate our deepest needs.

The Lord further showed me that the challenge of "abiding in Him" comes in the form of avoiding an independent spirit. Let me explain.

I am challenged because I have the tendency to be surrounded by the so-called 'fellowship' of Christians, but yet live at arm's length from my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. For me, it has nothing to do with not getting enough opportunities to surround myself with human interaction - it's the challenge of going deeper in relationships that reflect God's kingdom on earth.

What characterizes our abiding in Christ: More than knowing God's love, more than avoiding sin, more than loving one's neighbour. It is coming to a place where I can allow God's hand to reach into my life through interdependent relationships that God has for me during this time. It's allowing people to see weaknesses. It's further removing layers of 'falsehood' to become more real. That's the challenge for me in order to operate from a position of truly abiding in the vine that is of Christ and the fellowship of believers; to not stand in the periphery, especially when everything inside you wants to run away and 'abide apart'. It is re-enforcing the branches, and actively re-grafting if branches has broken off. That is how we will bear fruit.


    Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me (John 15:4).
Fundamental truth, and as with most basic tenets, it opens up new realizations when God brings us back to it. Especially when we are stubborn.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Post a Comment

<< Home / Visit My Current Blog!


Subscription service
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Reflections on Life and Spirituality blog!
(NOTE: Please be assured that this will not be used for spam or unsolicited communications)
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

[Valid Atom]