Monday, November 14, 2005

Obituary

Imagine having the chance to be someone else and writing an obituary about yourself?

This was done at a group meeting a couple of weeks ago, which everyone thought was a bit morbid. But all of us read and shared what we wrote - and I got a glimpse into other people's hearts, as well as my own. Here was what I wrote.


    He challenged me to live my life looking outwards and making a difference in other people's life, not merely living for myself. And that meant sometimes taking risks with people and sharing his own weaknesses. He understood deeply God's word expressed in the prayer: "Teach me, Lord to number my days, that I may gain a heart of wisdom". As such, although at times he struggled with procrastination, difficulties, doubt and failure, he brought it to the Lord to use it for His good. He struggled, but he always tried to obey the Lord, especially when there were risks to step beyond what he felt he was comfortable with, and to let God enlarge his boundaries.

    All in all, more than his words, it was the way he lived his life and time spent with him which made a difference to help me grow as a person and in God.
I think why the above exercise left such an impression was that it gives me a written charter of how I want the bigger picture to be painted. I am not an artist, but from what I know, sketching the outline provides a broad perspective for how the whole picture will eventually look like.

My 'picture' is far from complete - wrong strokes, missed lines and conflicting colours everywhere. That sometimes discourages me. But I cling on to the hope that if the sketch is right, it will provide a starting point for painting in the colours and details, and eventually the picture will be a coherent one guided by the Master. A fact worth remembering, I believe.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Post a Comment

<< Home / Visit My Current Blog!


Subscription service
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Reflections on Life and Spirituality blog!
(NOTE: Please be assured that this will not be used for spam or unsolicited communications)
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

[Valid Atom]