Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Discouragement against stepping out - why?

Stepping out of our comfortThe Lord has been reminding me afresh of the whole notion of learning to embrace what we see as risky as a means of personal growth and truely understanding God's character.

There is one aspect of faith that eventually will lead us down the path of taking risks if one is truely following the Lord closely. Faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen. If this is not tested via means of stepping out and taking risks, I am not sure how this can be achieved.

How do we know we are making decisions that reflect God's will for us to step out?

Dr. R.T. Kendall, in his book, Out of Your Comfort Zone, articulates this predicament very well:

    "The irony is, staying in your calling, is in a sense to stay in your comfort zone because this is where you have maximum peace. But there is always come a time - it will come sooner or later - when you know you have to go outside your comfort zone, but never outside your calling, to keep that peace.

    To put it another way: how do I know when I am being cautious and prudent by refusing to be found outside my comfort zone? How do I know when it is a natural but reasonable fear that keeps me where I am? How do I know that this fear is not a fear of displeasing the Lord? I answer: when pride is at stake. It is commonly called the 'fear of man' - what people will think or say. This fear is the chief ingredient that will keep us in our comfort zone and thus militates against our discovering God's ways."

Within this context, I have been asking why the sudden rash of incidents over the past weeks, which is causing so much distraction and heartache. And I have come to an initial conclusion. Let me explain: I have been asked to speak to a group of university students and young adults: this is where I feel I am called to be, and my comfort zone. However (and this is big HOWEVER), the topic I am supposed to speak on is not within my comfort zone; one which I feel totally unqualified to speak on: Matthew 5:27-30

Additionally, as I have elaborated in my previous note, ever since I have agreed to this, it seems like there have been distractions, misunderstandings, confusions, etc that have been thrown my way -- all not necessarily related directly to the talk, but yet which made me seriously question myself whether I should do the talk. One reasoning in my head says: "With all these things, now is not the time to take this up. Maybe next time.".

This leads me to to believe there is more than just natural forces at play. If you are faced with adverse situations, you need to ask (just as I have asked myself):

Is God moving in your life or starting to move in the bigger fellowship you are affiliated with? How is God's work affected as a result of what we see as adverse situations?

As I posed these questions, my eyes were opened to the bigger picture of why things are being thrown at me and how it's stopping the Lord doing something in this situation. Please do not be mistaken. Not every adverse situation follows this pattern - I am just saying that we have to be open to the possibility of the enemy being unhappy when his ground being encroached in various ways. For my situation, it seems like taking the decision to step out of my own comfort zone has not just rocked my boat, but the enemy's as well.

And I am glad it is not just in my imagination. Some of the other leaders involved in this fellowship of students, also have had seemingly natural but 'out of the norm', things happening e.g. being stricken with migraine so bad that one cannot carry out a speaking session.

Here I am reminded to stand on God's word and obey: "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." (James 4:7)

There is no other way.

Labels:


Comments:
How timely...I have been struggling with the decision to step out and speak up or should i take the passive way out to just trust that God will somehow work things out and reveal it all eventually. Its is very difficult indeed when one is faced with such a situation. Its encouraging to know that a fellow Christian goes thru this struggle too. Hang in there...=)

 
It is when we vulnerably risk that we allow God to lead us. I love it. I pray that God will continue to provide you opportunities to risk it all for His glory. Bless you!

 
Hi BJ- welcome back. Appreciate your thoughts both here and in your own blog. Look forward to more...

Blessings
~Sallibuc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home / Visit My Current Blog!


Subscription service
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Reflections on Life and Spirituality blog!
(NOTE: Please be assured that this will not be used for spam or unsolicited communications)
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

[Valid Atom]