Sunday, July 16, 2006

Emotional Shelter

Shelter in StormsA thought dawned on me last week. Love from people close to us acts as an emotional shelter over us. By that, I mean that the knowledge that you are loved can be the most powerful protection against everything that can possibly hurt us emotionally - whether its from adverse circumstances, ourselves, or other people. Conversely, the lack of it can leave us vulnerable.

Relationships, whether family, spouse or friends, are defined or broken by times of crises, and the mettle inherent in its fibres tested during pain and turmoil. In seasons of hardship, one is likely to find out how much 'emotional covering' we have - I certainly have. Let me explain.

Through my own experience of dealing with grief, I have been surprised by unexpected people reaching out to me when I didn't even have the strength to ask. On the other hand, I have also felt let down by relationships which I thought had deep roots to withstand stormy weather, but instead did not translate into any tangible action.

Walking togetherOddly enough, the comfort I feel is not in the things people have said to me regarding my gran's passing; but it was in the small deeds of the people who bothered to inquire how I was at the point when I needed it most. It didn't require me to share a lot, but the thought of knowing that I am cared for and loved - and that there was a 'place' I could go to - was sufficient grace for me. Anyone who has gone through a period of grieving probably shares the same sentiment. Indeed nothing anyone can say truely can take away the ache -- that much I have to accept. I still struggle sometimes with my thoughts when certain things remind me of my grandmother, but God has been faithful to provide places of shelter, where His grace is sufficient.

I now perceive more clearly my relationships -- where, and how much covering I possess. The ones that I have, I am learning to cherish, whilst for the others, I am learning to leave behind and move on. Life is strange - the fires of hardship have ways of revealing what is true and steadfast.

I guess what I am learning in a more profound manner, is that love is defined by what we do, but also what we don't. I finding out in a deeper way God's call for us to "not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth" (1 John 3:18).

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Dear Sallibuc

I used to be affected by how others responded to me in times of need.

However, God has taught me to let go and depend on Him each time He led me through a crisis for the past 8 years. He taught me to give room to people who did not respond the way they should because they could also be struggling during the same period.

In times of need I asked God to open doors. He did not, obviously, but he opened many little windows, so that I could take breathers in between and continue the journey with Him.

Coming out of the crises helped me see how much God cares for me. Those painful moments are now sweet memories to me. Wonder if you still remember the song "The longer I serve Him, the sweeter He grows"

God bless you!
S

 
Hi S, you are absolutely spot on. Thank you for your thoughts. Learning to appreciate windows when doors are not open, and seeing the little graces that He bestows, is part of maturing in the Lord. Expectations that lead to unspoken demands imprisons ourselves, and others. We live in a world where individual rights are demanded. However, with God, we are given the privilege to ask, but not the right to expect. I believe that we can apply the same principle here.

 
hey there, onoe thing i realised is the truth in 2 corinthians1:3 God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, SO THAT we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. Now that you are "equipped", you can comfort those who grief in the future.

It can go both ways, it can be in grief that we see our faithful friends who stick by us, or it can be in celebration ( in my case, wedding) that i see who my friends are.

Take care brother! God is drawing you lose to him, pruning you to be His vessel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home / Visit My Current Blog!


Subscription service
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Reflections on Life and Spirituality blog!
(NOTE: Please be assured that this will not be used for spam or unsolicited communications)
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

[Valid Atom]