Monday, June 05, 2006

Returning Home

Copyright: August 1998 collection of Stephanie Crumley-Effinger

A year ago, God impressed this verse upon my heart for my grandmother, in a time when she was very ill.

    "... unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." (John 12:24)
Today, my gran went home to be with the Lord. I do not think the reality of it has sunk in yet, but God has been faithful in preparing my heart and whispering words of comfort. I had plans to write something about her, but I do not have the words and do not know where to start. So for now, I can only write what I have heard from the Lord. This is what He said leading up till today, when He finally summon her return.
    "I know you love her, but I love her more than you ever will. I am with her and she is safe with Me."
    "I want you to remember her not for her sufferings, but for the seeds that were sown in the lives of the people she came in contact with - seeds of blessing, seeds of hope, and seeds of encouragement. She is My good and faithful servant."
    And today, on the day of her going:
    "Rejoice in the fact that I have given her to you. She is a very special lady, and I have her with Me now."





C.S. Lewis wrote this:

    You never know how much you really believe anything until its trust or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death. It is easy to say you believe a rope to be strong as long as you are merely using it to cord a box. But suppose you had to hang by that rope over a precipice. Wouldn't you then first discover how much you really trusted it?
    -- A Grief Observed

Yes, one will never see the full power of God's Word until circumstances in your life depended on it. In the years of her illness, my gran was cogent but never could read the bible that much. But I realise that she didn't need to anymore - because God's Word was already hidden deeply in her heart and it ministered to her whenever she was lonely, fearful, or in pain. She trusted in the Lord and He never forsaked her.

I will no doubt miss my grandmother, but the gaping hole in my heart is made less painful because I know in my spirit that she is in better place. She went peacefully today to a place where there is no pain and no more tears.

    "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." (Rev 21:3-4)
Faithful to her pilgrimage on this earth, she is finally home, and that is every child's promise from the Father because of the Christ Jesus.

To Gran: Goodbye. Thank you for imparting in me a spiritual heritage, a heart to encourage, and an understanding of the depth of God's love. See you again someday in Heaven.

Related post:

Seeing someone dear slip away - Part 1

Seeing someone dear slip away - Part 2

Labels: ,


Comments:
Praise the Lord for life which is from Him and Him only. Thank you for sharing this life testimonny and pass on the encouragement.

 
Although words cannot begin to ease the sorrow of your loss, please know that we are in the prayers of so many who cares

 
Thanks for your words and concern.
~Sal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home / Visit My Current Blog!


Subscription service
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Reflections on Life and Spirituality blog!
(NOTE: Please be assured that this will not be used for spam or unsolicited communications)
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

[Valid Atom]